Low Carb Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
🍎Essential Kitchen Tools And Books For Low Carb Living
Some or all links listed on this page are affiliate links for products that I’ll earn a tiny commission on per-sale. The cost to you, if you buy anything, is absolutely nothing.
✅Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: ~27 Cookies
Serving Size: 1 Cookie
Total Carbs Per Serving: 2.9g
Total Net Carbs Per Serving: 1.3g
117 Calories/3.2g Protein/10.8g Fat/1.6g Fiber
*When I’ve made these, I’ve gotten between 25-30 cookies. It all depends on how heavy or light you are when using a tablespoon to measure out the dough. So nutrition info is based on 27 cookies per batch.
➡Brown Butter Ingredients
10 tbsp. Butter, unsalted for ~½ cup
2 ½ C Hazelnut flour
1/3 C Walnuts, chopped
½ C Brown butter, melted or softened
2 large eggs
**10 tbsp. Swerve or other low carb sweetener
3 oz. Unsweetened Baker’s chocolate, chopped
½ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Baking soda
¼ tsp. Nutmeg (if feeling adventurous, try using cayenne pepper instead)
1 tbsp. Vanilla extract
Sea salt for sprinkling
Feel free to substitute almond flour or another nut (like pecans, macadamia nuts, Brazil nuts) in this recipe. Just adjust the carb count as needed.
🔔When using a different sweetener, you’ll want to account for at least half of the sugar alcohols (divided by total cookies) to the total and net carb counts. Use the chart near the end of this article on low carb sweeteners as a guide for what add when tracking carbs: https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/06/10/Top-10-Natural-Low-carb-Sweeteners Also you may not need 10 tablespoons. I found that half that amount is fine, but my husband did not. So experiment with batches.
✅Brown Butter Directions:
1. In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Swirl the pan to make sure butter is cooking evenly. As butter melts it will begin to foam and the color will change from yellow to a toasty brown. Once you smell a nutty aroma and see the dark brown flakes (milk protein) at the bottom, take the butter off heat.
2. Transfer the brown butter to a new container, leaving as much of the brown flakes in the pan.
3. Let brown butter cool. Once cool enough, either place in refrigerator to use later or use in liquid form when making the cookies. If for later use, make sure you let the brown butter soften before using with cookies.
1. Preheat oven to 350. Place a piece of parchment paper on a cookie/baking sheet.
2. Combine the flour, sweetener, salt, baking soda and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.
3. In separate bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla extract, brown butter (if liquid).
4. Next, add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. If you are using softened brown butter, add it here.
5. Add in the walnuts and chocolate and mix well.
6. Using a tablespoon, scoop and place dough on baking sheet, making sure to leave 1-2” between dough scoops. While dough spreads slightly while cooking, recommend pressing the cookie dough with your hands slightly to form ¼” size disks (they will spread to about 1/8” thickness).
7. Place in the upper third of the oven and cook 10-15 minutes. Once you hit the 10-minute mark, keep and eye on the cookies so you don’t burn them. Cookies are done when lightly browned on top and bottom edges are golden.
8. Place cookies on a cooling rack and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
9. When ready to serve, sprinkle a small pinch of sea salt on top of each cookie for a sweet and savory flavor.
🔔To Freeze Cookie Dough:
1. Place a strip of plastic wrap on your work surface. Turn out dough on to plastic wrap. Using your hands to shape the dough into a log. Wrap the log in the plastic wrap (not sealing the ends) and gently rub it back and forth to better shape the log. 2. Seal the ends of the plastic wrap, making sure all air is out of the wrapping.
3. Wrap your dough in freezer paper or in a freezer bag and seal tight, again, removing as much air as possible. Write date on bag (can freeze for up to 3 months).
4. When ready to cook, just remove from wrapping and slice into disks from log and place on parchment covered baking sheet.