Low Carb Roasted Pepper And Sausage Casserole
🍎Essential Kitchen Tools And Books For Low Carb Living
Some or all links listed on this page are affiliate links for products that I’ll earn a tiny commission on per-sale. The cost to you, if you buy anything, is absolutely nothing.
Total Carbs: 6.2g/per serving
Net Carbs: 4.8g/per serving
ghee or butter to oil 9 x 13 baking dish
3 poblano peppers
*12 oz chorizo sausage, browned and sliced (While I used hot sausage to get to 12 ounces, feel free to mix it up and use what ever type of sausage you like; just be sure to cook it ahead of time.)
12 large eggs
*6 ounces button mushroom, raw and sliced, about 2 cups (use any type of mushroom you’d like)
1 medium red pepper, seeded and diced
4 large Scallions, diced (use green and white parts)
*2C shredded cheddar cheese, divided (feel free to use a different cheese if you prefer)
4-6 dashes hot sauce (optional)
1 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
🔔Carb count may change depending on type of sausage, mushrooms or cheese used.
1. Preheat oven to 375. Use ghee and oil a 9 x 13 casserole dish; set aside.
2. Start by preparing your poblano peppers. To blacken them, follow one of the two options below.
1⃣Option 1: Gas Range Method. Turn a burner to highest setting and place the pepper on top of the burner to blacken the skin. Use tongs to turn the pepper until skin is completely blackend.
2⃣Option 2: Oven Method. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tin foil. Lay peppers on their side on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes to char the skin. Flip pepper and repeat on opposite side. When done, the peppers should be soft and slightly collapsed.
After blackening each pepper, place it in a bowl and cover with paper towel or tin foil to let the pepper sweat. You’ll want to sweat the peppers for 15 minutes. Next remove the cover and begin to peel the blackened skin. After removing skins, remove seeds and dice peppers into 1” pieces. Set aside.
3. Begin layering your casserole, starting with the sausage, followed by mushrooms and red peppers. Be sure to spread each layer evenly across the dish.
4. Next, use a whisk and beat the eggs; while mixing add in salt, pepper, scallions and half the cheese. Pour egg mixture into the casserole dish, spreading it evenly.
5. Top with the diced poblano peppers and remaining cheese.
6. Bake in the oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes.