Low Carb Chipotle-style Barbacoa
This keto carb barbacoa will knock your socks off. All the great low carb foods in a generous serving size that’s both delicious and healthy.
🍎Essential Kitchen Tools And Books For Low Carb Living
Some or all links listed on this page are affiliate links for products that I’ll earn a tiny commission on per-sale. The cost to you, if you buy anything, is absolutely nothing.
✅Keto Chipotle Barbacoa
Servings: about 16
Total carbs per serving: 5g
Net carbs per serving: 4g
Tallow, lard, ghee or other fat for browning
*4-5 pound beef brisket, cleaned and cut into pieces to fit Dutch oven if necessary
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
4-5 garlic cloves
1/4 C fresh lime juice
2 tbsp coconut vinegar or cider vinegar
6 oz tomato paste
2C Dot’s Chipotle Salsa (see link below)
2 ounces Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1/2 tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tbsp oregano
1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
1/2 tbsp Celtic sea salt
1/2 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 C Beef bone broth
🔔Topping Ideas (toppings not included in carb count above)
Sauteed green pepper strips
🔔Note: There are other cuts of beef you can use instead of the brisket: top round, shoulder roast, round bottom roast or a rump roast. The cooking method below is still the same.
Note: This recipe can be made in a slow cooker instead of a Dutch oven. Just set your slow cooker to low and cook for 8-10 hours.
1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. On the stove top, heat oil on medium in the Dutch oven. When oil is hot carefully add in the brisket to brown, about 4 minutes on each side. You should hear the meat sizzle as soon as it touches the pot.
3. While meat is browning, add the onion, garlic, salsa, peppers, lime juice, tomato paste, salt, spices and broth to a food processor and pulse until it turns into a thick paste.
4. Once meat is browned, remove from heat and pour the paste on top of the meat, making sure to cover all of the meat. Cover the Dutch oven and place in the oven on the middle rack. Cook 4-5 hours.
5. After 4 hours, remove the pot from the oven and, using 2 forks, try to see if the meat is easy to shred. If not, cover and place back into the oven. If the meat easily shreds, turn off oven and remove the meat to a rimmed baking pan, leaving as much of the juice and paste in the pot as possible.
6. Using your 2 forks, start pulling the beef apart until it is completely shredded. Place the shredded beef back into the Dutch oven and mix with the paste and juices. If there is too much liquid in the pot, let it simmer on the stove top for 30-60 minutes to reduce. Otherwise it is ready to serve over mixed greens or cilantro- lime cauliflower rice.
🔔Dot’s Chipotle Salsa Video Link: https://youtu.be/_V7gK2zMUxw