“Faux-tato” Beef Stew, An Awesome Discovery
🍎Essential Kitchen Tools And Books For Low Carb Living
Some or all links listed on this page are affiliate links for products that I’ll earn a tiny commission on per-sale. The cost to you, if you buy anything, is absolutely nothing.
🍎Resources & Links:
Healthy fats for cooking: http://fatworksfoods.com/
Coconut Secret’s Coconut Aminos: http://amzn.to/2ybWpZj
Smoked Sea Salt (first time using it and plan to test different brands): http://amzn.to/2fU43g7
✅”Faux-tato” Beef Stew
Serving Size: ~1C; Makes 8-10 Servings
Total Carbs Per Serving: 6.1g
Total Net Carbs Per Serving: 4.3g
2 lbs. Stew beef
3 tbsp. Beef tallow, divided
2C Beef broth, divided
12 oz. Bacon, cooked and crumbled
14.5 oz. Can diced tomatoes, juice drained
3 oz. Button mushrooms, thickly sliced
4 oz. Mixed bell peppers, coarsely chopped
2 Celery stalks, cut into 1” pieces
1 Small onion, diced
3 Garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp. Tomato paste
2 tbsp. Coconut aminos
Smoked sea salt (or regular sea salt)
1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. Red pepper flakes
🔔You can use different vegetables, but adjust carbs as needed.
1⃣Option 1: For busy mornings
Add all ingredients into slow cooker (meat on top of vegetables before adding liquid); cover and set on low for 6-8 hours.
2⃣Option 2: Maximize Flavor
1. Prepare meat first by patting dry with paper towels; then season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat tallow or fat of choice in skillet over high heat**; once the oil is hot, add beef, making sure not to crowd the meat (work in batches if necessary). Sear meat for 1-2 minutes. Remove meat from skillet.
3. Add onions, mushrooms and garlic in skillet and quickly sear them, about 1 minute. Remove vegetables from skillet.
4. Deglaze the skillet by adding a ½-1C of beef broth, scrapping up the browned bits on the bottom and sides.
5. Add onions, mushrooms, garlic, and deglaze liquid from skillet to slow cooker; add remaining vegetables then the meat (meat sits on top of the veggies); finally add remaining ingredients except for Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Set slow cooker to low for 6-8 hours.
6. About 1 hour before stew is finished, stir in the Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. About 30 minutes before finished, taste and adjust seasonings accordingly.
7. Serve immediately.
🔔🔔When using a skillet to sear, do not use nonstick as you can end up cooking the meat instead of searing. Use a stainless steel or cast iron skillet. If you use an enameled skillet or Dutch oven heat the oil and meat on medium so as not to crack the enamel.