Low Carb Sausage & Mushroom Stuffed Peppers
Looking to mix up my breakfast from my usual eggs, ½ avocado and ½ tomato, I turned to my dad’s stuffed pepper recipe, minus the rice. My low carb version of this dish included a red or green pepper, sausage and baby bella mushrooms. It’s easy to make and delicious.
It takes about 50 minutes to make (45 of those minutes is baking time). If you don’t have that much time in the morning, then I urge you to make it the day before. It tastes just as good on the second day.
Dot’s Sausage & Mushroom Stuffed Peppers
Net Carbs: 2g*
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 7*
- 1 red or green bell pepper, cut in half, seeded and membrane removed
- 6 ounces raw sausage (pork or poultry)
- 3 oz mushrooms, diced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 poached eggs, optional
- 2 oz fresh mozzarella, divided, optional
*NOTE: Optional ingredients changes net carb count to 3g and PointsPlus value to 11. Also your PointsPlus value changes depending on which type of sausage meat you use.
- Preheat oven to 350; lightly spray a baking pan with olive oil
- In a bowl, mix the sausage and mushrooms; equally divide the mixture and place into each pepper half.
- Bake the stuffed peppers for 45 minutes.
- During the last few minutes of baking, place 1 ounce of mozzarella cheese on top of the stuffing in each pepper and start cooking 2 poached eggs (optional).
- When done, drain the oil from the peppers. If poaching eggs, top each pepper with an egg and serve.
Not sure how to poach an egg? Check out the video below.