Remembering To Take My Vitamins Everyday
Taking my vitamins everyday is a lot easier said than done. I want to take my vitamins, but its like my brain doesn’t have any more room to remember this one little thing. Ugh! All of the vitamins and supplements I take are on doctor’s orders. So it’s not like skipping them is no big deal.
Just What Am I (Allegedly) Taking?
- Multivitamin — I know there is a lot of noise out there about whether multivitamins are necessary. I’m taking one because my doctor recommended it after my physical. I needed to boost my iron and potassium levels. Many people take multivitamins if they are not getting enough vitamins and minerals from their diet. People love to self-diagnose. But unless you get blood work done, you won’t know what you need, if anything.
- Probiotics — Again, doctor recommended to help deal with my constipation.
- Fish Oil — I don’t eat enough fish so I take this supplement to boost my Omega-3 levels.
- Vitamin D — Two years ago I was Vitamin D deficient. I’m now in the normal range, but on the low-end. I’m shooting for mid-range by my next physical.
So I’ve taken up a few little tricks to help me.
- Location, Location, Location — I’ve moved my vitamins out of the cupboard. Locking them away kept them out of sight out of mind. Their new home is right next to the refrigerator and my food scale – the two things I use when I eat. Keeping them in plain sight helps me build my daily routine.
- Yep, I’m Using A Pill Box – I always equated pill boxes with medication and old age. But if given a choice, I’d rather fill up the pillbox with vitamins and not prescriptions.
- Put My iPhone To Use – I’ve set up a daily alert in my phone to remind me to take my vitamins right after breakfast. Same action at the same time and place. Everyday. Until it’s automatic. Easy.
It takes about 60+ days for a new habit to stick. I started this new routine on Sunday and three days in I’m doing great. Hopefully it’ll stick with me this time.