Whipping Up Some Vegetable Soup Italian Style Tonight
It’s 23 degrees out and freezing rain is on the way. A perfect night for soup, no? I’m making a vegetable soup following the Simple Start recipe with two additions — spinach and red bell pepper.
I am kicking myself for not buying kale today. Kale is wonderful in soups. I went with baby spinach and the soup still tastes great.
I made a big batch for the week for a filling, comfy snack (yes, soup is a snack in my book!) during this cold streak.
Net Carbs: 9g
Weight Watchers PlusPoints: 1
Servings: About 10-12
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- black pepper and sea salt, to taste
- 2 c spinach
- 2 c low sodium chicken broth
- 3 c water
- 1 can diced tomatoes (low carb)
- fresh basil, chopped
- 1 c whole wheat elbow macaroni
- Add oil to pot over medium heat; add garlic and simmer until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add carrots, celery and onion, stirring occasionally; add salt and pepper to taste; cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables become soft. About half way through, add the red bell pepper.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, water and basil; add salt and pepper, if desired.
- Add spinach and pasta; simmer until pasta is cooked.