Avocado Breakfast Bowl
I’m reading The Paleo Primer to learn a little about the diet and to try the authors’ awesome looking recipes. This morning I decided to try the Avocado Breakfast Bowl, and it didn’t disappoint.
It’s a little high on the Weight Watchers‘ points scale, but I think it is worth it. The full recipe is below along with some minor changes I made to use up some leftovers.
Avocado Breakfast Bowl
Net Carbs: 4
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 11
Serving Size: 2
1 Tsp. oil for pan (butter or coconut oil)
8 Oz. chicken breast, skinless, diced
Salt & pepper (for taste)
2 Tsp smoked paprika
1 Avocado, medium
3 Slices of bacon, chopped
1 Roma tomato, sliced into 4 wedges
1. Heat oil in the pan and add the chicken
2. Stir-fry the chicken and season it with salt, pepper and paprika
3. Cook the bacon in a separate frying pan until crispy
4. While the meat is cooking, slice the avocado in half. Keeping the shells intact, remove the pit and scoop out the flesh; place flesh in a bowl and mash together until creamy, keeping it a little chunky.
5. Place the avocado back into the shells. When chicken and bacon are done, place on top of the mashed avocado.
6. Serve each avocado with 2 wedges of tomatoes
I decided to use the left over chicken breasts I cooked last night. The chicken already had a jerk rub on it, so I skipped the cooking and seasoning steps (steps 1 and 2) and just diced the chicken and warmed it in the microwave.
Since the chicken had a jerk rub, I turned the creamy avocado into a guacamole by adding 2 tablespoons of fresh salsa, 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro, fresh juice from 1/2 a lime, and a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
My changes didn’t change the net carbs, but the PointsPlus value dropped to 10. You can probably lower the PointsPlus value further by substituting turkey bacon for the pork and using a cooking spray and not the oil.
Wow! Talk about delish. I’ve been looking for an eggless dish to add to my breakfast routine and I think I found it. It tastes great and really fills you up. My husband couldn’t stop raving about it. Best of all, it only takes a few minutes to prepare. Great if you’re squeezed for time in the morning.
I can’t wait to try the recipe with the smoked paprika.
Note about photo: The above photo is a bit deceiving. You actually end up with a lot more chicken than can fit on top of the avocado mash. I just wanted to try to take a pretty image with my crappy camera. Trust me, I ate all of my chicken!