Quinoa Salad Recipe
My trainer gave me a recipe for quinoa salad that I tried out today. I love quinoa but completely cut it out of my low carb diet. Thanks to my new weight training regimen, I can add this wonderful grain back into my food rotation.
There are lots of variations on quinoa salads. This particular one is very tasty and provides the perfect amount of healthy carbs for your post-muscle workout. I added 3 ounces of skinless chicken breast on the side to up the protein.
The recipe below calls for 1/2 C uncooked quinoa, yielding 1.5 cups of cooked quinoa. Since the recipe is a single serving, I’m only using 1/2 C of cooked quinoa and reserving the rest for later in the week.
Net Carbs: 20g
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 6
- 1/2 C quinoa, uncooked
- 1 C Water
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1/4 C Cucumber, diced
- 1/4 C Red onion, diced
- 1/2 C Tomato, Roma, seeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp Flaxseed
- 1 oz Fat free feta
- 1 Tbsp. Lite balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/4 C Cilantro, finely chopped
- Rinse quinoa in a fine sieve until water runs clear, drain and transfer to a medium pot. Add 1 cup of water and 1/4 tsp. salt and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside off the heat for 5 minutes; uncover and fluff with a fork.
- Scoop out 1/2 C of cooked quinoa into a bowl and add cucumber, red onion, tomato, flaxseed, fat free feta, cilantro and mix.
- Pour dressing over and toss briefly to evenly distribute it.
- Quinoa, Cumber and Feta Salad (munchedinburgh.com)
- A-Z of unusual ingredients: quinoa (telegraph.co.uk)
- Gluten Free Quinoa Salad (marisolio.wordpress.com)
- Learn how to be a Queen (or King) of the Quinoa Salad (bespokebalance.wordpress.com)