Post-Workout Breakfast Recipe: Chocolate Protein Pancakes
I started out mixing it by hand. After a few minutes I broke out my hand mixer to break up the banana. As for a topping, I decided to go with a thin layer of almond butter. But you could use fruit or 2 tsp of maple syrup.
How does it taste? As with most post-weight training food, I hope for the best and expect the worst. This one knocked my socks off. It was delicious. It’s moist and the chocolate, oatmeal and egg combine to give it a nice flavor with the occasional burst of banana.
Would I make it again? Absolutely. It’s very filling. I’ve also seen a recipe with plain, non-fat yogurt and I might give that a try.
Why The High Carbs?
Coming in at 55 net carbs, this is not a low carb meal. You need to eat both carbs and protein after an intense workout – and when I mean intense, I don’t mean walking 30 minutes on a treadmill. I’m talking about the kind of intensity where a trainer kicks your ass to the point where you feel like jelly or you ride a bike for 3 hours.
Anyway, the carbs boost insulin levels after a workout. The insulin in turn helps your body to more efficiently use the amino acids from the protein. Essentially you’re repairing and rebuilding your muscles more quickly. But you have a small window to do this after a workout – about 2 hours (1 hour is best).
Also, be smart about the your carb choices. Technically after an intense muscle workout you could eat a candy bar and it would probably get stored as muscle and not fat. But remember this is a lifestyle change…not a diet.
- 4 Large eggs (3 whites and one whole)
- 1 Scoop Whey protein (chocolate)
- 1/2 Banana, mashed
- *1/4 C Oatmeal, steel-cut or old fashion
- Spray pan with cooking spray and heat over a medium high heat
- Stir all ingredients together until combined
- When the edges of the pancake begin to harden, flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes
- Top with syrup, nut butter or fresh fruit and enjoy
*Steel-cut oatmeal takes 30 minutes to prepare, so suggest you give yourself extra time or make the oatmeal before your workout.
- Juggling Carbs, Protein And Fat (dottotrot.com)
- Building My New Weight Loss Menu (dottotrot.com)
- The. Best. Protein. Pancakes. EVER. (tgipaleo.com)